Dentist located in: OR
Dentistry.com dental articles & forum
Home Conditions Treatments Dental Daily Care Dental Forum Product Showcase Are You a Dentist?
Looking for a
Dentist for a Toothache?
Do you have dental coverage?
Home > Dental Conditions > Toothache > Untreated Dental Abscess Can Be Dangerous
Bookmark and Share

Untreated Dental Abscess Can Be Dangerous

Untreated dental abscesses can be dangerous.

Regardless of the source, a swelling of the gum indicates a more serious infection.

Have you ever had your gum swell from an infected tooth? Has anyone ever told you that the "poison" from the infection can kill you? Is this just an old wives' tale, or is it the truth? To answer this question, we need to know a little more about dental infections, the potential risks, and how the dentist treats them.

A dental abscess is the result of a bacterial infection originating in the teeth or gums. If a tooth is the source of the infection, it is usually the result of an untreated cavity. A cavity is an infection caused by a combination of carbohydrate-containing foods and bacteria that live in our mouths. Although there are many different types of bacteria in our mouths, only a few are associated with cavities. When these bacteria find carbohydrates, they digest them and produce acid. The acid dissolves the hard enamel that forms the outer coating of our teeth. As the cavity progresses deeper into the tooth, it eventually infects the nerve and blood supply of the tooth contained within the pulp. At this point, pain increases, especially when eating or drinking cold or hot foods and beverages, or when biting down.

In some cases, a dental abscess is caused by an infection of the gum. Bone loss from periodontal disease can cause a pocket or space to form between the tooth, gum and bone. When bacteria and other debris get into the pocket, an abscess can form. A dental abscess is treated in a number of ways, depending on the severity of the infection. If decay has caused the abscess, the tooth will require a root canal or will need to be removed. If the gum has caused the abscess, the gum will require a deep cleaning or surgical treatment, or the tooth may need to be removed. Regardless of the source, a swelling of the gum indicates a more serious infection. In many cases, a small incision into the gum is needed to drain the abscess. Antibiotics and pain medications are often required to further treat the abscess and relieve discomfort.

So how dangerous is a dental abscess? It all depends on how soon the patient has a dentist visit. If a person waits until the gum is so swollen that they have difficulty breathing or opening their mouth, the situation is very serious. It is not the "poison" of infection that makes the abscess deadly, but its growth that can choke off our ability to breathe. That is the type of dental abscess that can kill if left untreated.

Remember, only a dentist can diagnose your dental problems and offer the right treatment plan for you. If you need a dentist, call us at 1-866-970-0441 to be connected with one today.

Bad Breath
Cleft Palate
Cold Sores
Dental Anxiety
Dental Emergency
Gum Disease
Mouth Problems
Oral Cancer
Sleep Apnea
Teeth Problems
Wisdom Teeth
See All
Cosmetic Dentistry
Dental Braces
Dental Implants
Dental Restorations
Exams & Cleaning
Fillings & Sealants
Gum Disease Treatment
Oral Surgery
Root Canal Therapy
Sedation Dentistry
Teeth Whitening
Tooth Extractions
See All
Dental Financing
Dental Hygiene
Nutrition Information
Overall Health
Pediatric Dentistry
Senior Dental Care
Your Dentist Visit
See All